Thread: Conveyor Idler Inspection Images

Forum Member

Conveyor Idler Inspection Images

I took these images on a conveyor recently. I used a FLIR P65 camera with a 18mm wide angle len to enable a quicker inspection of the conveyor. The conveyor is 10km long. I have included 4 images. 3 idlers have seized and 1 idlers has a bearing that failed but is still rotatingName:  IR_0390 Module 288 centre carry idler frame 1.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  140.7 KBName:  IR_0386 Module 454 LHS carry idler frame 1.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  142.6 KBName:  IR_0356 Module 1263 LHS carry idler frame 2.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  149.2 KBName:  IR_0363 Module 1165 centre carry idler frame 4.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  119.3 KB

They are great images Cam. I see you got a few more pixels under the hood since your last post!! Those images are very sharp and very clear. You mentioned you covered off around 10km of belt. Can you tell us how long that took? Did you do it buy foot or vehicle?
    Also, you posted 4 images, but how many exceptions would you have found in 10km? I just want to get an idea for the scope or magnitude for this kind of inspection.
    Brenton Ward
    Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Thermographer
    Level II Airborne Ultrasound

Forum Member
    Great questions there Brenton!
    For this particular conveyor, it took me between 6-8 hrs for the inspection. Some parts of the conveyor can't be accessed with a vehicle so walking was the only option. Also around the transfer points I spent a bit of time as the impact idlers are closer together and rubber lined so it is easy to miss exceptions. All the other areas I did from a vehicle with the help of a driver.
    For this belt I had approx 50 exceptions. We had sat down with the key people before we started and came up with a set of parameters for me to work to. This enabled me to quickly determine what was ok, high or critical in a severity rating.
    An interesting observation that I saw many times was that many idlers were tagged for replacement due to being noisy but when I inspected them through the camera the bearing temperatures were ok.
    Yes you are correct about the pixels! I always carry a low resolution camera as I go around site as it is lighter and smaller to carry. For this job, I used a wide angle lens for quicker inspection time on a high res camera. There are 4 reasons. 1. I don't have a wide angle lens for our low res cameras. 2. It is a lot easier to see faults. 3. We still have a few non-believers of thermography in our organisation and I wanted to capture good images. 4. I got great images from this camera.
    I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask me more on here, via email or phone,
    Cam