Thread: Ideas for Science Class Presentation

Ideas for Science Class Presentation

My cousin teaches science in a Jr. High School here in the United States (ages 13-14). She would like for me to give a presentation. I don't want to get too technical. Thought I would talk about emissivity and show an example with a can with hot water and some electrical tape. I also was going to discuss "seeing through walls" and "glass". Does anyone have any easy and cool presentation ideas. And any suggestions on what I should avoid.

Thanks........

I like the idea with the electrical tape on a shiny surface, but you can add to this experiment by changing the temperature of the water. You could boil the water as you go, or alternatively you could start with cold water in the tin and pour a cup of hot water in, where it will show the temperature change on the high E surface and not the low E surface.

When are you doing the presentation? Let us know how you get on and what you decided on in the end, it would be great to see how the kids respond!

Richard Grace

Thanks Richard....what do you think about not being able to look through glass but the ability to get images through some dark plastics????

Thanks Richard....what do you think about not being able to look through glass but the ability to get images through some dark plastics????

That's also a good option, it helps build a picture that light is a form of radiation, rather than some special phenomenon of its own. If I had seen someone like yourself in a high school classroom demonstrating these ideas I would have had a very good day at school!